IB: What is the purpose of war skills
“The art of war is of vital importance to the State” -Sun Tzu
“In battle, there are not more than two methods of attack- the direct and the indirect; yet these two combinations give rise to an endless series of maneuvers.” – Sun Tzu
What are war skills?
A codified system of fighting practices. This term can also be described as “martial arts.” In the modern sense, “Martial arts” are known combat principles.
What is the purpose of war skills?
Defending yourself from harm.
Why are war skills important?
The ability to defend or protect yourself from harm is a fundamental human right.
What is Defendu?
A war skill.
What is the purpose of practicing War skills?
Creating muscle memory for quick, defensive responses.
Indirect effects of practice:
- Self esteem
- Self control
- Emotional well being
What are the components of defendu?
- Fighting Stance
The goal of mastering war skills is to end physical conflict asap. The way this goal can be achieved is by mastering the basic components of defendu. This requires focused practice of the basic movements. If you practice these movements; then your body will react accordingly.
- stops or deflects attacks.
- boxers guard; palms open.
- protects the body.
- blocks punches.
- drop your hands to your side from guard position.
- lift knee up and point the foot towards butt.
- creates situations to place your opponent off balance.
Pushover (primary throw maneuver)
- step forward and push with both palms
- target: torso region
- causes trauma to the body.
What are the target areas?
- face (chin, eyes, nose, upper lip, ear, throat)
- open palm strikes
- elbow strikes
- target: nose, chin, throat, ear
- leg strikes
- target: knee, groin, pelvic, torso
- causes trauma to muscles, tendons, ligaments, dislocations, and bone fractures.
- wrist lock
- straight arm bar tack down
an active struggle between competing entities.
(Old French) guerre- difficulty, dispute; hostility; fight, combat.
an ability that has been acquired by training.
(Proto-Germanic) skaljo- divide, separate.