published by: Alec One
State Department Highlights:
- People participate in the creation and editing of Knowledge.
- Wikipedia is an Encyclopedia anyone can edit, as long as policy is followed.
- Outline of editorial process policies.
- All articles references sources are open and transparent.
- Wikipedians check and document: what, why, who, where, and when of information.
- Wikipedia provides reliable, general, information about: What something is and who created it.
Questions to ask Wikipedia:
If people want to have access to information, then ask Wikipedia:
- Where does information come from?
- Who created the information?
- Why did they present the information?
Example of Wikepedians Self Organizing Community:
- People gravitate around the topics of interest. For example: Wikipedia Medicine Library.
- Wikipedia is a powerful tool for humanity.
- Wikipedia is the product of peer to peer technology combined with the intelligence of the crowd.
- Wikipedia is a reliable source and tool for individuals, to hunt and gather information.
- Full disclosure, I am biased towards Wikipedia because of the utility of the software and the belief in the power of humans to want to live for purpose.
- Department of State: full transcript.
- Published on Apr 11, 2017, Washington Foreign Press Center Briefing: Wikipedia in a Post-fact Word: Reliable sources, Open Sources and Knowledge with Katherine Maher, Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation.